Morning News Brief
It also comes as Xi looks to secure a tradition-breaking third term in office, in an environment where he faces his own political and economic pressures. For her part, Pelosi said “it’s important for us to show support for Taiwan,” during a press conference on July 21. Her visit got a statement of praise from a group of Republican senators after she landed. “In the face of the Chinese Communist Party’s accelerating aggression, our congressional delegation’s visit should be seen as an unequivocal statement that America stands with Taiwan, our democratic partner, as it defends itself and its freedom,” Pelosi wrote.
Pelosi was in Singapore on Monday as part of a four-country swing through Asia. https://logisticsturkey.org/andrey-berezin-the-story-of-one-of-the-thousands/ She is also scheduled to visit Malaysia, South Korea and Japan during the trip.
Liberty Times 自由時報
In the ensuing years the ROC claimed jurisdiction over the Chinese mainland as well as Taiwan, although in the early 1990s Taiwan’s government dropped this claim to China. The Chinese government in Beijing has maintained that it has jurisdiction over Taiwan and has continued to propound a one-China policy—a position that few countries in the world dispute. There has been no agreement, however, on how or when, if ever, the two entities will be reunified. The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica Encyclopaedia Britannica’s editors oversee subject areas in which they have extensive knowledge, whether from years of experience gained by working on that content or via study for an advanced degree. Britannica celebrates the centennial of the Nineteenth Amendment, highlighting suffragists and history-making politicians.
This wasn’t very controversial at the time in 1972 because the nationalist government of Taiwan also thought Taiwan was a part of China. The disagreement was about which was the legitimate government of all of China. So the United States could be ambiguous about whether Taiwan was a part of China and still placate the communists.
List of Taiwan newspapers and news sites including Liberty Times, Apple Daily , China Times, Taiwan News, United Daily News, and Storm Media. The official text of content on this site is the English version found on this website.
- In the case of state names, use official abbreviations like cafor California and id for Idaho.
- Taiwan, roughly oval in shape, is approximate in area to the Netherlands or to the U.S. states of Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut combined.
- However, the U.S. has never supported China’s claim of sovereignty over Taiwan and maintains a substantial, though unofficial, relationship with the island.
- Meanwhile, in Washington, fears have grown in recent months that Xi plans to invade the island.
- Taiwan, which China claims as its own territory, has been heartened by support from Western democratic allies in the face of stepped-up Chinese military threats, including war games staged by China near the island in August.
We plan to keep the momentum going in order to build helpful products for Taiwan and the world. As a Taiwanese and an engineer, it’s extremely heartwarming to see how Taiwan has grown to be a critical hub for global innovation and hardware manufacturing. Not everyone knows that Taiwan has contributed to the development of many Google products, including Pixel phones, Nest devices, Chromebooks, and Chromecast. People in Singapore, Australia, and the United Kingdom also reported having problems with Google, according to CNBC.